For any mamas and papas that are feeling short on time – especially in the exercise department – here are 5 exercises that you can nail while walking your little babe! Little and often really is the key, and it is so important to maintain some form of exercise as part of your routine, so that it is a habit rather than something you have to force yourself to do! As your baby grows, and your time frees up, all you’ll need to do is raise the bar, rather than having to start from scratch!
1. With your baby carrier on, and baby strapped in, you can break up your walk with some weighted squats. Stand with your legs a little wider than hip width apart and toes turned out. Squat down, making sure your knees don’t go over your toes. Do 10 squats, then continue with the other exercises and repeat the routine for a long as you feel comfortable.
2. Using a park bench, wall or anything else you can find, face away and put your hands on the surface behind you. Straighten your legs and start your weighted tricep dips!
3. If your baby is in a pram, consider going for a light jog or run, or try interval training! 40 seconds on, 20 seconds off!
4. Whether you’re pramming/pouching it, do some walking lunges with your baby in tow! Keep your form and don’t rush, its definitely about quality not quantity.
5. Push your pram up against a wall and try some standing press ups. Position your feet so that you can keep a flat back throughout and really focus on just working the upper arms!
It goes without saying that all of these exercises should only be attempted if you feel fit enough to do so. Post baby, don’t push yourself too hard and make sure you know your limit! All of these exercises can be found on YouTube and Google, so if you’re unsure about how to do an exercise, then it’s certainly worth doing a couple of minutes of research beforehand. Good luck and let me know how you get on!